Tom Scott - 2/08/2015
Date: August 3, 2015
If you missed the sermon yesterday, I would like to encourage you to take the time to listen to it on-line. This summer we have been looking at the core values of the church which I believe are important. Cumberland is not a perfect church, but we are blessed with a lot of good people who want to serve the Lord and see the congregation grow stronger and healthier. Yesterday’s message focused on the church and why we should come each week. Our text for the message was Acts 2:42-47. It is here that we read about the early days of the church. As part of the Restoration movement it is our passion to restore the church to what we see here in Acts. Let’s review the message by working through these five questions.
1. The message began with a look at the new light bulbs we installed on stage. When you move around the stage, the color of the lights changes. It is only when standing under the lights that you can determine the true color of the bulbs. Have you ever experienced a time when your perception of something changed when you got closer to it?
2. In the message I shared four reasons for why people should come to church here at Cumberland. The first reason was because of our devotion to God. We read that the early church was devoted to the apostle’s teachings, breaking of bread, prayer and fellowship. What does it mean to you to be devoted to God?
3. The second reason or why people should come to church is because we are united in purpose. Jesus told the crowds that he had come to seek and save that which was lost. Cumberland exists to make disciples who are fully devoted to the great commission and the good commandments. What role are you playing in helping people see this united desire to impact lives for God in this community?
4. For the third reason I turned to the portion of text where Luke says the Christians were giving to one another as they had needs. The world today portrays the church as being so judgmental of others. They want to paint this nasty picture of the church where we hate anything and everyone that is different from us. How can you show the world the love of Christ today as you go about your business?
5. The fourth reason for why people should come to church here is because of our joy in the Lord. Far too often people see Christians as being negative, haters, and full of anger. Paul says in First Thessalonians 5:16 that we should be joyful always. Do you have the joy of the Lord in your life and how are you displaying that spirit of joy in your daily activities?
There is so much more that could be said about the church. God has truly blessed us with a wonderful opportunity to make a difference in this community. Let’s make the most of every opportunity to invite people to come to church with us. Let’s draw people closer to the light of Christ so that they might experience the unconditional love of God.
Have a great week in the Lord! Next Sunday we are going to look at baptism. Look forward to seeing you here as we cover this core value of the church.
WHY COME TO CHURCH?
Acts 2:42-47 August 2, 2015
Introduction: The world is questioning why they should come to church. We need to be ready to give them an answer. Let me share four reasons with you for why people should come to church here at Cumberland. As part of this message we will explore what we believe about the church.
I. Because of our devotion.
A. World view: Committed to traditions. Colossians 2:8
B. Our view: ________________ to God. Acts 11:25-26
II. Because of our unity.
A. World view: Divided against itself. 1 Corinthians 1:10
B. Our view: _______________ in purpose. Luke 19:10
III. Because of our love.
A. World view: Judgmental of others. Matthew 7:1
B. Our view: ____________ towards others. 2 Cor. 8:3-4
IV. Because of our joy.
A. World view: Full of anger. Ephesians 4:31-32
B. Our view: Filled with _____. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Conclusion: We see that God blessed the early church with growth. The book of Acts shows us how Christianity spread out from Jerusalem. As a church, we believe that God can and will do the same for us today as we pattern ourselves after their example. We are focused on expanding His kingdom in this community by impacting lives for God. What role will you play in helping us accomplish this mission?
Key Thought: We believe that the church is a group of people called out by God to accomplish His mission here on earth.
Key Words: Devoted, United, Generous, Joy