Tom Scott - 25/10/2015
Date: October 26, 2015
Let me begin this E-study by pointing out an error that I made in the message yesterday. I mentioned that Hank Aaron played for the Milwaukee Dodgers which is not correct, he actually played for the Braves. Hopefully that mistake did not distract you too much from the main point of the sermon. The message centered on the fact that we need to keep the main thing the main thing in our lives. Jesus tells us in Matthew 6:33 that we are to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. Far too often our daily responsibilities distract us when it comes to putting God’s kingdom first in our lives. The message dealt with how we can get God back to the center of our lives. Let me share five questions with you that will help you reflect upon the message.
1. Chevy is running a new series of commercials that feature their new technology. They are emphasizing their ability to help us avoid some of the distractions that come with our smart phones. If you had to list off the top three distractions in your life, what would you say most distracts you when it comes to putting God first in your life?
2. The opening portion of the message dealt with our personal struggles to put God first in our lives. With all the stuff going on in our lives right now; it is hard to squeeze God into our daily schedules. Do you have a set time each day when you read your Bible and say your prayers and how well do you keep that daily appointment with God?
3. In Luke chapter 10 we find Jesus at the home of Martha in Bethany. Mary is listening to Jesus speak while Martha is busy preparing things in the kitchen. After some time Martha complains to Jesus and asks him to intercede on her behalf. How would you describe this scene to someone who has never read the Bible before?
4. During the message I pointed out two other occasions when people were distracted when it came to being with Jesus. Mary and Joseph were busy raising their family and the Pharisees were busy protecting the law. Can you think of any other times in Jesus’ life when people missed out on being with Jesus because they were distracted by their daily responsibilities?
5. The last part of the message focused on four steps we can take to put God back where he belongs in our lives which is first. Those four steps were to engage God first thing each day, evaluate our daily schedules, eliminate any waste, and enlist the help of others. Which one of these four steps do you need to work on the most right now in your life?
Thanks again for the great comments on the message. It is so encouraging to see the head nodding in agreement. Your kind words let me know that you are listening and soaking in these powerful words from God’s word. It is easy to see how so many of us lose focus in our lives when we are bombarded by so many responsibilities. Let’s continue to build one another up as we try to fulfill our primary responsibility in life which is to be faithful to the finish. Let’s pray for those who are missing out on a great relationship with the Lord because they are distracted by all the other things life has to offer.
Have a great week in the Lord!
DEALING WITH RESPONSIBILITIES
Luke 10:38-42 October 25, 2015
Introduction: All of us have responsibilities that must be taken care of at some point during the day. Martha was having a hard time keeping God first in her life. Responsibilities can become a distraction to our seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.
I. In the morning.
A. Keeping the plates spinning.
B. Juggling all our responsibilities.
II. In the afternoon.
A. His friends were busy in the _____________.
B. His parents were busy raising the __________.
C. His enemies were busy protecting the _______.
III. In the evening.
A. We often lose focus on many things. Matthew 6:25
1. ____________ God first.
2. ____________ our priorities.
3. ____________ the waste.
4. ____________ other people.
B. We need to focus on the one thing. Nehemiah 6:2-3
Conclusion: Jesus wanted his followers to understand the importance of seeking first that relationship we have with God. How much time and energy are you investing in seeking God right now? Have we allowed our daily responsibilities to stand in the way of our relationship with God?
Key Thought: Staying focus while dealing with our daily responsibilities is a balancing act that requires constant attention.
Key Words: house, family, law, engage, evaluate, eliminate, enlist