Tom Scott - 11/05/2014
Date: May 12, 2014
Mother’s Day has come and gone once again. Hopefully you got to spend some time with your mother yesterday whether it was on the phone or in person. My mother-in-law came over and the family headed down to the local nursery to pick out some flowers for the yard. As for my mother; we sent her some roses. I am thankful for the little tea pots that Dewesa Kinnett made for all our moms yesterday. It was a great gift as it gives our mothers an opportunity to kick back and enjoy a sip of tea. As for the message; it came from Proverbs 31 where it talks about a woman of noble character. Here are five questions to help us reflect upon the message.
1. If you go on the internet and surf the web, you can find thousands of suggestions for what to get your mom for Mother’s Day. Yesterday was the 100th Anniversary of Mother’s Day as declared by the United States, but some historians trace the honoring of mothers all the way back to the Romans. What is one of your favorite gifts to give your mother?
2. The author of Proverbs 31 talks about the fact that a noble woman would have her children arise and call her blessed. If we read verses 10 through 27, we find a laundry list of reasons why they would do such a thing. Which qualities listed here would apply to your mom?
3. Things have changed over the years for mom. These days she has to be able to read text messages, drive mini-vans, and shuffle schedules all the while trying to get the family fed. Do you think that women today have it harder being a good mom than women did back in the time of the kings of Israel?
4. In Proverbs 31, it says in verse 31 that we are to give our moms the reward she has earned. These last four verses talk about praising our moms for the work they do, the faith they maintain, and the way they take care of everything. Has it been easy for you to praise your mother through the years?
5. Mother’s Day is about honoring the woman who brought us into this world. The apostle Paul reminds us that we are to honor our moms, which was one of the commandments given to Moses. I mentioned some ideas on how we could honor our moms today during the last portion of the message. What most moms want more than anything is to have their children in church with them. We can honor our moms by being faithful in our service to God. What are some other ways that we can honor our moms?
Again, I hope you got to enjoy the day yesterday. This Lord’s Day we are going to have another message that centers on our Faith Promise theme for this year: Helpers Needed. Let’s encourage people to come out this Sunday as we look at the role we can play in spreading the good news around the world.
******************SUNDAY SERMON OUTLINE *********May 11, 2014***************
Introduction: Happy Mother’s Day to each of you who have children today. Each year we take time to pay tribute to our mothers. At the end of the book of Proverbs we read one man’s tribute to a woman of noble character. One of qualities of a noble woman is that she is worthy of praise. This morning we will look at how we can honor our mothers.
I. Children arise and call her blessed.
A. Look at ______________ she does. Proverbs 31:10-27
B. What are some things your mother did? Romans 16:13
II. Look at everything she deserves.
A. Give her the __________she has earned. Ephesians 6:1-3
B. What are some ways you can honor your mother?
Conclusion: For those of us who had godly mothers, it is easy to get up and sing her praises. All of us can honor our mothers through our actions. One way to honor our mothers is to devote our lives to the Lord. Let’s do what we can today to honor our mothers.
Key Thought: Look at what can be accomplished for the Lord when we
all work together.
Key Words: everything, reward